Hoverboards have become one sought after means of transport especially for athletes and celebrities. They are still popular despite prohibition in some countries and the risk of them catching fire.
All in all, there are a variety of hoverboards in the market. A hoverboard is a Swegway, mini-segway or self-balancing board. These boards are the in-thing and you can buy them from several stores. They also come in different shapes and sizes.
Hoverboards owe their popularity to the movie “Back to the Future II” which features one of the actors riding a hoverboard. Marty McFly rides a flying hoverboard in the movie.
However, the flying board that can be seen in Back to the Future II is not what’s being sold in today’s market. Today’s hoverboards are actually motorised devices with wheels. From afar, the rider appears to be hovering and this is the reason behind their name. Still, it requires skill to ride a hoverboard by either leaning forward or backwards to create momentum or to slow down.
How Hoverboards Differ From Other Riding Boards
A hoverboard differs from other riding boards like Segways. It has a motor attached to its wheels and each foot moves independently. This is how it maintains stability and aids the rider to sway from left to right.
Hoverboards are also more popular than other boards like the Segway.
A hoverboard can support about 220 pounds of weight and goes at speeds of 10 miles-per-hour. The boards further weighs approximately 25 pounds.
Just How Popular are Hoverboards?
Hoverboards have been featured in international media channels like CNN. CNN describes the IO Hawk hoverboard as an impressive piece of technology. This was covered during the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas which has urged companies to manufacture their own hoverboards.
Hoverboard manufacturers have also taken a proactive approach to market these devices through celebrities and other influential individuals.
These devices have made it to award shows and late night talk shows. You can also find these at Walmart. There is even a song about hoverboards from Buzz Feed. In addition, there are popular videos on YouTube featuring this device.
What Else You Need to Know
Hoverboards go at a high price that ranges from $350 to $2,000. These devices are powered by lithium batteries and require the riders to balance on them.
- The hoverboards are easy to use. They require some little practise in order to learn to balance. The ride is smooth and only requires leaning forward or backwards. With more practise, they become easier to navigate.
- There is a variety in the market. These boards are in demand and are a great gift item. You can purchase online or in malls.
- These devices are smaller than Segways, weigh much less and are more compact. They can fit in a locker or a duffle bag for easy storage and transportation.
- They help save on bus fare and are a good alternative when you do not want to walk. You can do between 10 to 15 miles at 10 miles-per-hour with full charge.
- The hoverboards are not a cheap gift and will see you parting with sums of about $300 to $2,000.
- These gadgets are also risky and can cause serious injuries.
- They easily catch fire and a number have a problem with overheating.
- There are prohibitions in on riding a hoverboard in certain establishments and even cities.